Meet the ePaperTrace Team
Click here to see how the various components of the ePaperTrace system can work together to create a 'paperless office'
The Affordable Secure Document Storage & Retrieval System.
Questions and Answers
- Q1. How do I input my paper documents into the ePaperTrace database?
- A1. ePaperTrace automatically collects documents scanned on the HP digital sender and stores them in the correct locations within your database.
- Q2. Can I add documents that are already in an electronic format to the ePaperTrace database? For example MS Word documents or MS Excel spreadsheets?
- A2. Yes with the ePaperTrace Desktop Sender program you can store documents from any Windows application into your database. It is as easy as printing the document.
- Q3. How do I locate my documents after they are saved within ePaperTrace?
- A3. Retrieving your important documents is easy with ePaperTrace. Using the familiar Internet Explorer found on most Windows and Macintosh computers you have several options to locate any documents. You can browse any category and subheading, use the A to Z browse by document title, search for text within the document title, notes or keywords.
- Q4. What format is used by ePaperTrace to store my documents?
- A4. All documents are stored in the database tables in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF). This allows you to email and share your information with others even if they do not own the same applications as you. All that is required to view or print the documents is the Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download from the Adobe web site.
- Q5. What is the structure of the ePaperTrace Database?
- A5. The ePaperTrace relational database is structured as follows.
- This hierarchical structure matches the internal control structure of the HP digital senders. All Top Level Menu Items, Subheadings and Document Titles are user defined. With a little planning this structure can be made to suite the majority of your document storage requirements.
- Q6. Do I need to program the HP Digital Senders using their control panel or the HP Addressbook manager?
- A6. No once the Digital Sender is connected to your local area network all of the programing required to send documents to the database is handled automatically by the ePaperTrace Manager.
- Q7. Can I access and view my documents from within my applications?
- A7. Yes you can link documents stored under any subheading in the database with any Windows Application. By relating documents to applications the ePaperTrace Viewer is able to search a subset of the database for the required document and popup the document viewer in front of or beside your active application.
- Q8. You keep refering to “Windows Applications” can you define exactly what this means?
- A8. Yes when we refer to Windows Applications we mean:- Any programs that run on a computer using Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000 or Windows XP and that support cutting and pasting text.
- Q9. Can I link to my applications on Macintosh computers?
- A9. No linking to applications is limited to Windows PC’s only. However you may still view the documents from Macintosh computers using the WEB browser.
- Q10. Are my documents secure and can I limit access to them?
- A10. Yes using the ePaperTrace Manager program you can maintain a list of authorised users and grant or deny these users access to groups of documents. Users will be required to enter an id and password to view these restricted documents.
- Q11. Can I view my documents over the internet?
- A11. Yes ePaperTrace uses the Microsoft IIS server to access your documents. If the WEB server is connected to the internet these documents can be accessed from anywhere using an internet connection. Another option is to connect your server to a local area network and access the documents across your intranet or via dial-up connections.
- Q12. Can I alter the documents once they are stored?
- A12. No (although you could extract the documents and alter them using third party software) ePaperTrace does not allow documents to by altered. You may of course add notes, change the title or add and remove keywords for any document.
- Q13. Can any one add and change notes that are attached to my documents?
- A13. Yes and no. Any user can be granted read only access to documents this will stop them from changing any of your data. In the case of notes you can override this setting in the sever manger and alow even users with read only access to update the attached notes.
- Q14. Can I monitor the system use and maintain the data?
- A14. Yes included in the standard package is the ePaperTrace manager program. This software is automatically loaded onto the web server during installation but you may also load the manager onto a PC or Laptop and manage the system remotely. The manager includes usage reports to analise the system at every level and includes counters for the number of times any document is viewed, the date last viewed and summeries for the number of documents stored. Also included are data maintenance tools that alow you to check the data integrity and repair index data automatically.
- Q15. Can I change the structure of my database after I have set it up and used it?
- A15. Yes the ePaperTrace Manager includes the facility to relocate any groups of documents into other areas without loss of data. This works for single documents as well. You may of course edit any of the subheadings or top level menu prompts at any time.
- Q16. Can I control when documents are available?
- A16. Yes each document has a publish and expiry date associated with it. You can use the publish date to delay publication and the expiry date to stop a document from continuing to be published. The manager can still access the document and may amend these dates even after the expiry date.
- Q17. How do I control the publication and exiry dates?
- A17. The ePaperTrace manager alows you to set defaults for each new document added. These dates may be ammended by any user with read write access using the web browser interface. The system manager will monitor these dates at a preset interval and email reports to the system supervisor detailing documents due to expire.
- Q18. How is ePaperTrace Software Licensed?
- A18. ePaperTrace Software is licensed on a per Digital Sender basis. This means that a license is required for each Digital Sender used to send documents to the database. The license grants you rights to run one copy of the ePaperTrace WEB site, unlimited user access to this site, unlimited ePaperTrace Viewer programs linking to an unlimited number of applications. Each standard license pack also includes licenses to run 5 copies of the ePaperTrace Desktop Sender program.
For more information on ePaperTrace, please Contact Us.